It is time to go or at least it feels like it. It can be hard to know when to leave a situation. Of course there are obvious times and conditions. However, often it is less obvious and less clear cut. Obvious equals an easy choice, less obvious equals a more complex choice. Unfortunately obvious is often subjective and particular to a person. Certainly it is more difficult when there are internal difference versus external differences-different sides of the same coin. Examples of external differences are pay, benefits, working conditions, and so on. Whereas internal differences are value differences, changing interests and goals, lack of intellectual stimulation.
Perhaps above all, a few simple questions are required.
- Is this where I want to be?
- If not, where do I want to be?
- How do I get there? Steps?
Wisdom may not come in making the right or wrong choice, but simply in making a choice.
….my WordPress user name and password. OK, guilty, auto entry did the heavy lifting. However, I did remember I had an account and that occasionally I like to write.
Since my last entry I have completed my MS Degree in Performance and Training and Development from Northern Michigan University (NMU). It is a very good feeling to have all requirements completed and projects approved.
Currently,I am working on getting enrolled locally to take courses in computer science and programming. I have been interested in this area for sometime and am excited about the possibilities. For instructional design and performance improvement it will give me a distinguishable set of skills and as well as the chance to pursue new opportunities in different areas.
Excited and ready to embark on this re-boot.
Yesterday in my internet travels, I discovered the SAMR model. The Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, Redefinition Model provides a framework to view how computer technology might impact teaching and learning.
Substitution refers to using computer technology to do the same task as was done prior to its use. For example simply putting recording a training lecture and putting online.
Augmentation refers to using technology to perform common tasks, such as taking the quiz online. Typically will augment non computer technology in teaching and learning.
Modification Represents a step toward greater, more inclusive use of computer technology. Common learning and teaching tasks are accomplished through the use of technology.
Redefinition entails using technology to do tasks that were previously not possible. For example creating a classroom video to post on youtube.com
On a continuum, the model shows the level of computer technology in learning and teaching.
My takeaways from the model are:
- It provides an easy useful framework to categorizing learning and training
- Modification and Redefinition might allow for deeper learner participation
- In general it does not seem dissonant with adult learning theory
- M and R will probably increase learner’s acquisition and application of material
- Shifts towards M and R will require the teacher/facilitator to have technology skills (basic programming, multimedia, strong understanding of programs online, etc). Technology oriented skills.
- M and R integration assume learner’s have some basic computer skills (word processing, web searching, emails, message boards/forums, attachments).
- Applicable to online learning/eLearning. I would guess that a considerable amount of eLearning content falls into the S or A categories.
- M and R have some power to reshape learning, design, and user experience. S and A will always be around, likely necessary, and are more or less useful.
- Highly applicable to training and development.
- Useful in areas outside of learning and teaching such as innovation, technology, management, etc.
As I reflect on the model, I’m sure I will see other ways it can be used.
It is sort of a directionless Sunday morning.
Research ideas, I am thinking about:
- MOOCs, types of courses offered, who offers, who takes, etc.
- Peer-to-peer learning and learning communities and whether evolve in the absence of any formal institutions. Institutions an idea from my political science days that I can’t seem to shake.
New things I have discovered:
- The SAMR model, I never thought of this, well maybe I did, but didn’t have the framework. Interesting.
- Smartbuilder for designing custom eLearning
Websites, I have visited:
- Amy Parent’s blog on instructional design
- Economist John Cochrane’s blog for a very interesting article on “MOOConomics”
- Journal of Educational Technology and Society
Time to be productive or at least feel like it.
Hemingway where were you when I was an undergrad? Drunk? In Africa? Doesn’t matter.
I plan on using the application for shorter writing like emails, blog posts, forum replies.
My MS paper has been approved. One final step, which is to complete a training and jump through some Northern Michigan University (NMU) bureaucratic steps.
The training I am developing will be on a few free internet applications that can be used for training. There are some good free tools out there for training such as wikis, screenr, etc. With a little creativity, many apps out there can be leveraged for training or performance improvement. I will be posting the training on Udemy within the next few weeks.
I am excited about gaining access for NMU library resources again. I am planning to mine the hell out of all things related to training and development. Exciting.
I am planning to do some writing as well as to continue trying to teach myself programming. Recently, I have started learning about Java.
My goal is to be more active in training and development through writing, employment, and future educational pursuits.
My MS degree project was completed, submitted, and approved. Two more steps register for Psychology 590 and design a training.
For the training, I am going to use Udemy. Udemy is online program (free) that allows a person to design, develop, and administer training. I have a few ideas for the training. I need to complete my outline, objective, and the learning template (I love templates).
It is finally going to happen. No more nightmares about not completing it! I am exciting to begin pursuing other endeavors.